Thursday, February 23, 2012

Publishing Update


Though I’ve paper published, I hadn’t yet epublished a creative writing piece before Monday the 13th of this month. Though the process wasn’t fun, it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. Publishing my story took around four or five hours to read all the forms, write up a story description blurb, check all the boxes, answer all their questions, upload and format the novel, upload the book cover, and so on. After going through the process once, I’d be surprised if it took me more than an hour to do it again.

The formatting threw me off. With the book I published, Amazon’s formatting conversion of my Microsoft Office Word 2010 document created quite a few formatting issues that I had to go in and smooth out. The formatting still isn’t where I wanted it to be, but I’ll work on that next time I publish with them.

My book is titled “City of Town”. It’s a short read, contemporary fiction with a hint of sci-fi. It’s priced at $0.99 so you can’t go wrong with checking it out. I enjoyed it, I hope others do too.

If you don't own a Kindle, you can still view it using Amazon's free Kindle app. get it here.

Read the story's description and purchase it here.

After going through the process once, I might be able to provide help to anyone that is thinking of publishing on the Kindle. Ask me any questions in the comment section below.

3 comments:

  1. What was the formatting issue with Microsoft 2010 you ran into? Any advice on how to avoid this issue for those aspiring to publish on the Kindle would be much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I could tell, Amazon removes most word processor format settings in your document. So you basically have to go back in there and reformat stuff. This wouldn't be that big of a problem except the viewer they give you to preview your book is pretty shabby. It's not like viewing it on a Kindle, the PC viewing software is pretty sad. So a lot of the changes I made felt like I was making them somewhat blind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've heard that formatting an ebook with amazon is pretty screwy. Including images in a dynamic format is pretty hard, so how-to books and such are an undersold market in the ebook category. At least, so i'm told.

    ReplyDelete