Monday, February 27, 2012

Getting On a Schedule


If your writing schedule is anything like mine used to be, it goes a little something like this.


Monday – Wrote 1 hour at night
Tuesday – Wrote 2 hours at night
Wednesday – Didn’t have time to write
Thursday – Forgot to write
Friday – Friday night was a blast
Saturday – Hung out with friends
Sunday – “I used to write?”


Once you’re in the groove of writing every day, it’s really easy to fall out of it. All it takes is one day off and you’re down a slippery slope. Once you’re out of the groove, it can be very hard to get back into it again. I’ve learned this the hard way. Years of my writing life have looked like the schedule above. It’s all too easy to fall into this trap. Here’s what I do now. It’s helped keep me on a better daily writing regimen.

First of all, you must eliminate my “Wednesday” excuse. The, “I didn’t have time” one. You really do. Free up 30 minutes in a day—you can do at least 30 minutes. No one should be that busy; and if they are, they better be that busy working towards a solution to world peace or to provide essentials for their family, because I’ve seen people work that hard in life. They always crash, hurting themselves and those around them.

So once you’ve found that all-too-precious 30 minutes, what next? We’ll go over that in the next writing advice post, but for now, get into a schedule. Stick to it religiously. If your writing is important to you, don’t let it suffer because of my “Friday” or “Saturday” excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment